The Red Lodge Fire Rescue received a report of a house fire that had occurred at 3 a.m. last Sunday near the Pollard Hotel. The tenant did not call 911 and was able to extinguish the flames themselves. According to the Fire Department the tenant believes the fire was started by a space heater in the kitchen.
Red Lodge Fire personnel investigated the scene and found significant damage.
“The fire burned long enough to create black staining half way down the walls,” said Captain Jon Trapp. “Smoke from structure fires is extremely toxic and should be avoided at all costs.”
Fire Chief Tom Kuntz added that there are some lessons to be learnt from this incident.
“This fire could have been significantly worse and there are some important lessons to pass along. If you discover a fire in your home, call 911 immediately, even if you think you can extinguish the flames yourself,” said Kuntz.
According to the Fire Department, every second is critical in these situations as a fire can double in size every minute, and it is essential that 911 is called as soon as possible.
The Fire Department recommends that homeowners or tenants carry out monthly tests on any smoke alarms to ensure they are operational. They even suggest purchasing additional smoke detectors if needed. In addition to this, carbon monoxide detectors should also be considered.
Fire Rescue have issued some space heater safety tips:
Please contact Red Lodge Fire Rescue at 446-2320 with any questions regarding smoke detectors, space heaters and fire safety.